Tuesday, March 8, 2011

First post of 2011

Is it sad that the first post I make in 2011 comes in March?

Yes, that's how far behind I've fallen in my blogging.

What motivated me to start blogging again, you ask? Well, it's a subject I'm doing this semester - Introduction to Fiction Writing. I really like the subject - it makes me think like a creative writer again, to take in all the smells, sounds, sights, and to translate that into text. It's a skill that not everyone can do - people can picture scenes in their head but you have to have a good grasp of vocabulary to be able to pick the words that will best paint the picture you're trying to show people.

I used to tell my mother about the scenes that would form in my head when I was reading a book. I'd tell her about how reading a book felt also like watching a movie I created in my head, and I even told her 'I wish I could plug the tv to my head so you can see!'

But with writing, people can see. As a writer it's your job to help them see the movie inside your head. And maybe that's what I like most about writing - it's a reflection of your thoughts, your creativity. The tools already exist - you just need to know how to use them.

I changed the layout of my blog to a generic Blogger one. Curious, I know, since previously I've spent hours and hours trying to find the perfect layout that best describes me when I look at the blog, that people will know what my style is like.

I realise now I don't have to. My style - who I am - is right here, in my writing, in my words. And that's all anyone really needs.

1 Comments:

At March 8, 2011 at 8:21 PM , Blogger Brendan said...

*likes post* :P

So true about the layout thingy; you really have your own distinctive style of writing. But anyway, I just have to let you know that now Blogger has quite cool-looking basic templates though XD hahaha! And I also like your very innocent-looking profile pic :P

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home