Saturday, April 24, 2010

Musings


Lately I've been feeling like I'm a little more isolated from everyone else, like there're already groups that have been established and everyone knows it's rather difficult to 'break in' into the status quo of a group.

I don't know if it's what I'm doing, or perhaps what I'm not doing, or perhaps just an unfortunate sequence of circumstances altogether, but while I have friends I wouldn't say that I really have many friends I can call up and hang out with here. There are just too many variables and maybe I'm just so much of a peculiar jigsaw piece that I can't fit in anywhere.


It could also be the homesickness kicking in, which is weird since homesickness isn't really supposed to kick in until about 6 months into being away, and I've not really even been here half that time yet. It probably also has something to do with the fact that it's actually incredibly hard to go over to a new country/completely new culture and start all over again. Especially when you do little-known courses or have very niche interests.

I was never the most popular girl back home but at least it was home. The place where you've built up thousands of contacts through years of schooling and other things, somewhere you can fall back on because people understand you and know who you are. Here, it's actually so much more difficult to begin again, especially in doing an Arts course because there are so many options that I rarely ever see the same people in my classes twice. In high school we made friends because we were confined to the same environment for an extended period of time, and were basically forced to interact - you can't help but make SOME friends under those circumstances.

Either way, though, I guess at least I have the trip back home (however short) to look forward to in June/July. I expect my calendar to be filled with a lot of going out trips! :P

Till then, I'll be stalking all of you on  Facebook!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home